Installation Instructions for Wood Mantels/Shelves
Our fireplace mantels are designed to be installed easily. Follow the steps below and enjoy your new fireplace mantel.
The following tools and hardware are required to complete your installation: Tape Measure · Mounting Board (Included) · Drill (Masonry drill is mounted on brick or stone) · Pencil · 3/8″ Wrench · Phillips Screw Driver · Level · Masonry Lag Bolts and Washers · Wood Screws (Included)
Step 1 – Location of Shelf Mounting Bracket
Place the shelf on the wall above your fireplace or on the wall at the desired height. Level the shelf and draw a line on the wall at the top of the shelf. Remove the shelf and measure down 2-3/4″ from the line and draw a second line on the wall parallel to the first line. See Mantel figure 1.
Step 2 – Attaching Mounting Bracket (Board) to the Wall
The shelf mounting bracket is a long, narrow wood strip with the top lengthwise edge angled down and away from the outside edge. Line up the bottom of the mounting bracket with the lower line and attach the mounting bracket to the wall in this position. Make sure mounting bracket is level. If you are mounting the bracket on a standard drywall over stud construction, make sure you screw the mounting bracket into the wood studs (2×4’s) for strength. You may need to drill additional holes in the bracket. When attached the shelf to a brick surface, you must use the masonry lag bolts. Mark the location of the holes to be drilled by marking through the holes on the bracket. Drill the holes in the masonry in the locations you marked. Then insert lag bolts through the mounting bracket and tighten. Make sure the mounting bracket is secured to the wall as shown in figure 2.
- Make sure the wall bracket is attached to the wall as shown here. The pointed end of the bracket should face away from the wall.
- If installed into masonry, use lag bolts and anchor them tot he wall through the pre-drilled holes in the bracket with proper sized lag bolts and washers.
- If installed into a sheetrock wall, be sure to drill holes all along the mounting bracket and counter sing them. Position the holes along the bracket at the studs (2×4’s) in your wall and anchor them at as many stud locations as your mantel covers. Be sure to use proper size lag bolts and washers to properly secure your mantel.
Step 3 – Install Shelf on Mounting Bracket
Install shelf over mounting bracket and slide down until shelf is tight against the wall. Then, push down firmly on the top of the shelf to ensure that the shelf is resting solidly on top of the mounting bracket. When the shelf is in position, use the wood screws provided to secure the shelf to the mounting bracket from the top back portion of the shelf. See mantel figure 3.
- Install the provided wood screws into the pre-drilled holes to secure the shelf. We recommend that you pre-drill down through the existing holes into the mounting bracket before installing the screws.
- NOTE: Gaps between the wall and the shelf may occur due to uneven walls or masonry. This is normal and is not a defect in your mantel.